Thursday, September 9, 2010

Potatos!!! Blog Number Two

Did you know that the indians in Peru were the first people to cultivate the potato over 4,000 years ago? Ever since then, potatos have become a very popular vegetable. Not only are potatos popular world wide, they are forsure my favorite vegetable. They are so popular that they are grown in about 125 countries world wide.You get a lot of nutrition from potatos that many people do not relize. One medium potato provides many things such as; magnesium, iron, potassium, vitamin c, fiber and niacin. According to the Hot Potato website, the largest potato ever was 18 pounds and 4 ounces. That is huge!

What I think is so interesting about potatos is that there is so many different ways you can eat them, and so many things made out of them. You can have baked potatos, mashed potatos, cheesey potatos, potato salad, buttered potatos, and many more. French fries, JoJos and so many more things are made out of potatos. A regular baked potato has around 140 calories. (Without any topings) One of my favorite side dinners is a baked potato with cheese, sour cream and a little ranch ! Who doesnt enjoy a dinner with some sort of potato ?

http://www.thehotpotato.com/english/potato_facts.htm
http://nutrition.about.com/od/fruitsandvegetables/p/potatoes.htm

7 comments:

  1. I agree potatoes are the way to go!! They are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever had potato bread? It's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Potatoes sind wunderbar! I believe my life would have gone horribly awry without the goodness of spuds. Good write up on a good subject!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, No I have never had Potato bread, I have had bannana bread and those kinds but not potato? I am sure it is delicouse! I want to look up a recipe and make it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read places that potatoes are mostly a subsistence crop and aren't particularly healthy. They're very starchy and high on the glycemic index. Not to be a total buzzkill! Sweet potatoes are much better for you and I think way tastier.

    This is a good post and I am liking very much all the discussion surrounding it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesterday I went to the Food Zoo and started piling food on my plate, as soon as I sat down to eat I noticed that I had a piece of meat and 3 types of potatoes. I had potato salad, scalped potatoes, and tater tots. Then I said to my friend "ugh! I want something more than potatoes!" and they offered my french fries without even realizing that those are potatoes too!! Its so true that there are so many types and no one realizes it!!

    I also didn't know that they were that nutritious! Very informative! :)

    ReplyDelete